torsdag 2 februari 2017

En bild och en dikt

In a Garret Thomas 
P. Anshutz, 1891

När jag råkade på den här bilden häromdagen kom jag att tänka på Elizabeth Barrett Brownings dikt (fast det inte finns så många böcker på bilden):

The Library in the Garret

Books, books, books!
I had found the secret of a garret-room
Piled high with cases in my father's name;
Piled high, packed large, - where, creeping in and out
Among the giant fossils of my past,
Like some small nimble mouse between the ribs
Of a mastodon, I nibbled here and there
At this or that box, pulling through the gap,
In heats of terror, haste, victorious joy,
The first book first. And how I felt it beat
Under my pillow, in the morning's dark,
An hour before the sun would let me read!
My books! ...

                                  Elizabeth Barrett Browning 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar